UK Today

London attacker had previously served for terror offences

A man shot dead by police after he stabbed people in south London had been released from prison in January.

With Secret Ink - London

Earlier on Sunday London police shot dead a man who stabbed two people on Streatham High Road, a residential district south of the river Thames. Reports say the attacker entered a shop and started stabbing people. He then left the shop and stabbed a woman. Witnesses told that they heard three gunshots and saw a man lying on the ground outside of a Boots pharmacy while police approached and shouted at people nearby to stay away. The man had a hoax device strapped to his body, police said.

Police forensic officers work at the scene of a terror attack in Streatham High Road, south London after a man was shot dead by armed officers on Sunday. Photograph: Victoria Jones/PA Wire

The attacker was Sudesh Amman, 20, a man who had been recently released from prison where he was serving a sentence for “Islamist-related terrorism offences”, a senior officer told ARABSKY. Amman was first arrested in north London in May 2018 by armed officers on suspicion of planning a terrorist attack. He pleaded guilty in November 2018 to six charges of possessing documents containing terrorist information and seven of disseminating terrorist publications.

Sudesh Amman, Streatham attacker shot dead on February 2, 2020

Lucy D’Orsi, deputy assistant commissioner in the Metropolitan Police, said she was confident the attack was an isolated incident that had been contained.

The quick response of officers has certainly saved lives. However, another terrorist indecent raises a question of proactive measures to keep public safe.

Treasury minister Rishi Sunak new measures to toughen terrorism laws – already announced by the PM after last November’s attack near London Bridge – will give the police “more powers and resources to do that as well”.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said the government would announce further plans for “fundamental changes to the system for dealing with those convicted of terrorism offences” on Monday.

Early on, police said they were treating the incident as “terrorist-related”

Related Articles