The number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in the UK rose to 798 on Friday and a total of 11 people have died.
It is understood that ministers are working with the government’s chief scientific adviser and chief medical adviser on plans to stop various types of public events.
The government’s action plan, published last week, have been largely criticised for the decision to hold-off cancelling mass gatherings and keep schools open.
The Government’s plan urges anyone with even mild coronavirus-like symptoms – a persistent cough or a fever – to quarantine themselves at home and to sleep alone if possible and stay at least two metres from relatives.
The PM has also recommended all overseas school trips be cancelled while people over the age of 70 or those with pre-existing serious medical conditions have been told not to go on cruises.
The number of UK cases has risen by 130 and the death toll hit 10 in the last 24 hours, with experts increasingly bracing for turmoil as the overwhelming majority of the population becomes infected and the country develops ‘herd immunity’.
But chief scientific adviser Sir Patrick Vallance said he believed the true number of infections was likely to be 5,000-10,000 already. He estimated that the UK was four weeks behind the trajectory of the crisis in Italy – which has brought the country to its knees.
The peak of the outbreak in the UK might not come for 10-14 weeks, the experts said – suggesting it will run into June.
Apparently the government’s approach has not changed. However, concerns about the burden that large events might put on health services and the police prompted to take stricter measures in this aspect.
The schedule of the ban is not clear yet. It could start next weeekend.