The number of deaths now stands at 3,405, which is more than in China where the virus originated last year.
There have been 3,245 reported deaths in China, but there have been questions over the reliability of its data.
A lockdown imposed on 12 March in Italy has been extended beyond the original 25 March end date. Nearly all Italians have been told to stay at home.
Despite these measures, the number of new cases and deaths has continued to spiral.
There have been 220,000 cases of the virus worldwide with more than 9,000 deaths.
China confirmed it had no new domestic cases on Wednesday for the first time since the outbreak began, a major milestone.
But it reported 34 new cases among people who had recently returned to the country.
The number of cases in China – more than 81,000 – is still far higher than in Italy, which has 41,035.
What’s the latest in Italy?
Italy shut down most businesses and banned public gatherings nationwide on 12 March as it tried to halt the spread of the virus.
Bars, restaurants and most shops have closed, as have schools and universities.
The lockdown has been extended, and Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said it had helped prevent “the collapse of the system”.
But he told the Corriere della Sera newspaper that “we will not be able to return immediately to life as it was before” even when the measures were ended.
A report by the Istituto Superiore di Sanita into the deaths in Italy of 2,003 people confirmed to be positive for coronavirus found that three regions, all in the north, were by far the worst hit.
Some studies point to the large number of elderly in the affected regions, and that a large proportion of 18-34s live at home with them. Different demographics in other nations may have helped to keep the death toll lower.