Car races into Seattle protesters: one woman killed, one in critical condition

A woman has died after a car drove into a group of peaceful protesters on a closed highway in Seattle.

According to a police e report released by the Washington State Patrol, 27-year-old Dawit Kelete drove the car to avoid vehicles that were blocking Interstate 5 and sped into the crowd about 1:40 a.m on Saturday.

Summer Taylor, 24, died hours later in a local hospital.

Diaz Love, 32, was upgraded to serious condition in the intensive care unit of Harborview Medical Center.

Love was filming the protest for Facebook livestream captioned “Black Femme March takes I-5” when the video ended abruptly.

In a graphic video on social media a white Jaguar can be seen racing into a group of protesters, striking two women and sending them flying into the air.

Kalete fled the scene after hitting the protesters. One of the protesters got in a car and chased Kalete for about a mile. He was able to stop him by pulling his car in front of the Jaguar.

The suspect was described by offices as reserved and sullen when he was arrested. He was booked into the King County Correctional Facility on Saturday morning on two counts of vehicular assault.

Officials are currently trying to determine the drivers motives. Washington State Patrol Captain Ron Mead suggested suspect Kelete drove the wrong way on a ramp. Despite the earlier statement from trooper Rick Johnson, saying that Kalete went through a barrier that closed the freeway before striking the women.

Kelete has a Seattle address. He is listed in public records as a student who attended Washington State University between 2011 and 2017 majoring in business and commerce.

The Washington State Patrol announced on Sunday evening that protests on I-5 highway will no longer be allowed, and that pedestrians on the freeway would be arrested .

“My hope is, as a result of this tragedy, protesters will reconsider their desire to be on the interstate because I cannot guarantee their safety, plain and simple,” Captain Mead said.

Related Articles